What does the dynamometer measure and what types are there?
The dynamometer is one of the most widespread and used tools to measure the weight of an object in a very simple way. The mechanism, based on Hooke’s law which states: “the elongation of an elastic body due to the effect of gravitational attraction, is directly proportional to the applied force”.
There are two types of dynamometers on the market: spring dynamometer and digital dynamometer .
How does the spring dynamometer work?
Based on the law of mechanical physics underlying elastic materials, called Hooke’s, it follows that the more the spring is stressed, the more it will deform, obtaining a certain value in kilograms, Newton or dyne which is indicated on the graduated scale by means of a pointer.
To measure the weight of a body without making mistakes it is advisable to hang the dynamometer on a rigid surface (such as the ceiling), kept still and in a vertical position, without being tilted during the reading. The body whose weight you want to know is hooked to the other free end, the spring relaxes and determines the value.
How does the digital dynamometer work?
The operation of the digital dynamometer is based on Hooke’s same law of physics that calculates the intensity of the force, but with the advantage that the value is displayed directly on an LCD or LED display. Some models of dynamometers have a USB output for exporting data to a computer or other digital device.
Which type of dynamometer to choose?
We can therefore conclude by saying that there are many models of dynamometers, but not all of them are suitable for every application, in fact there are numerous work environments in which they can be used: from companies with large warehouses and production units, small shops, from medical clinics, physiotherapist at the pharmacy. It is therefore important to consider the type of force that will be applied and the weight of the loads that will act on the components of the dynamometer, as well as the budget available. Below are the most popular models in the various sectors:
- Precision digital dynamometer for industrial use. Portable, compact and lightweight, perfect for light loads, equipped with LCD display and wireless technology. This dynamometer can be placed on bridge cranes and small cranes. It takes up the mechanism of a traditional spring dynamometer but the convenient LCD display guarantees an immediate reading of the weight force.
- Professional digital dynamometer for large loads. Generally it is multifunctional, equipped with a 360 ° swivel hook and a sturdy structure (die-cast aluminum) and also suitable for outdoor use. This digital dynamometer is also equipped with an LCD display for easy reading and wireless technology.
- Manual spring dynamometer. Mainly used in rehabilitation centers as it allows measuring the muscle strength of patients.
- Spring dynamometer / digital for suitcases / logistics. Being much more precise than the scale, the dynamometer is often used in airports or in logistic sector in general.
- Compression dynamometer for resistance tests. This particular application is used to measure the amount of tension of belts and harnesses, fishing lines, yarns, etc.
In short, as you will have understood, the dynamometer is an indispensable tool in any working sector, and on our site you can find various models of digital dynamometers to satisfy every type of need. Contact us to get all the detailed information you need.